Vienna International Center with the Austria Center Vienna in front (picture taken from TV tower in nearby park)
Vienna International Center with the Tech Gate Vienna in front
The official address of the conference venue:
Tech Gate Vienna, Donau-City-Straße 1
Vienna International Center (VIC) - "UNO-City"
1220 Vienna, Austria, EU
- View Plan
The conference will take place at the “Vienna International Center” (VIC), colloquially also known as “Vienna UNO-City”. It is the campus and building complex hosting the United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV). The Director-General of the UNOV is Mr. Antonio Maria Costa (Italy), who was appointed in May 2002 and who also serves as the Executive Director of UNODC. The VIC is an extraterritorial area.
The VIC, designed by Austrian architect Johann Staber, was built between 1973 and 1979 just north of the river Danube in the newer part of the town. Six Y-shaped office towers surround a cylindrical conference building for a total floor area of 230,000 square meters. The highest tower stands 120 meters tall, enclosing 28 floors. Every office has at least three windows and the lifts are at the centre of each tower. Altogether, there are 24,000 windows in the VIC. About 5,000 people work at the VIC, which also offers catering, banking, postal and shopping facilities.
Larger conferences are accommodated in the neighboring Austria Center Vienna (ACV), a conference and exhibition centre also designed by Johann Staber and built between 1983 and 1987 with a capacity of 9,000 p.
A major UN site along with New York, Geneva and Nairobi, the UNOV hosts several organizations:
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- International Money Laundering Information Network (IMOLIN)
- International Narcotics Control Board (INCB)
- Office for Outer Space Affairs
- United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA)
- United Nations Information Service (UNIS)
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR)
- International Trade Law Division of the United Nations Secretariat / United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
- Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS)
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- United Nations Environment Programme - Interim Secretariat of the Carpathian Convention (UNEP Vienna ISCC)
- United Nations Register of Damage Caused by the Construction of the Wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (UNRoD)